Which is rendering platform is best to use with Beryl?

Indigo 23 indigo23 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 01:36:45 UTC 2007

>Hey,

>Indigo 23 wrote:
>> I am running the latest nvidia drivers (from the ports -- 9746), Xorg
>> 7.2, and Beryl 0.2.1.  I was wondering which is the best to use for
>> the "Rendering platform" option in Beryl.  I have the choice of 1)
>> Automatic, 2) Force Nvidia, 3) Force AIGLX and 4) Force XGL.  I am
>> wondering which would be the best to use? I noticed when I have it on
>> Automatic that I cannot run other OpenGL apps while Beryl is running
>> as it just forces me to kill X11 (the screen turns black and the
>> computer becomes very unresponsive).
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>I haven't been able to get the newest version of Beryl working properly
>with the Nvidia driver. However, you might want to try fixing your
>Nvidia driver install before using Beryl. First, you must make sure
>X.org can see your Nvidia GLX modules. By default, they are installed in
>a different location than where X.org installs them. Assuming your X.org
>is install to /usr/local, you can fix it by:

>prompt# ln -s /usr/local/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1
>/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1
>prompt# ln -s /usr/local/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1
>/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

>Now, assuming you have graphics/mesa-demos installed, glxinfo will tell
>you that direct rendering is enabled. If you test Beryl at this point,
>it should partially work. On my machine, I get the effects but the
>window manager is messed up beyond belief.

>Sincerely,
>Dave Grochowski

Thanks for the tips....I think I forgot to state in my previous
message that latest (from ports) Beryl, Xorg 7.2 and the Nvidia
drivers are working just fine and I don't have any issues whatsoever
with those.  The only issue I had is that I cannot run other
OpenGL-based apps while Beryl is running, I am not sure if this is
isolated to FreeBSD or if it also affects others running Xorg
7.2/Nvidia driver/Beryl as well.  I was just wondering if there was a
way around it (i.e. running Beryl and OpenGL-based apps at the same
time).

Thanks.