the wikitest upgrade instructions

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 28 23:46:50 PST 2006

As I mentioned the other day, I went through the upgrade procedure and
found it relatively painless.  (The dependency loop that I ran into, I
later realized, was because my eye had skipped the step to pkgdb -F
after installing xorg-libraries.

I've now been playing with it a few times, seeing how many corners I can
cut and still have it work.  As mentioned, rather than installing the
xorg-drivers port, I'm getting by with mouse, keyboard and mga for my
video card.  However, I notice that whichever of these I first install
installs xorg-server as well, but doesn't remove the old xorg-server.
I'm guessing that might have happened with the first installation as
well.

I wonder if it might work better (I'm going to experiment with this too,
in the next few days) to do the portupgrade -R xorg-server before doing
the xorg-drivers.

I also found that I could, after doing the rest of it, skip the make
install of xorg, which seems to install anything that was missed.  :)

At any rate, at least on these PCBSD test installs, it installs
xorg-server but leaves the old one in there.  Doing portupgrade -R
xorg-server simply ignores most of the packages and skips the xorg-6.9
package.

Lastly, I repeat that I've been doing this on a PCBSD installation,
as it gives me a running BSD with X in about 20 minutes, so it's quite
possible that they're doing something slightly different than a normal
FreeBSD installation.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Are you ready to get down, you funky party weasel?