usbtablet(4x) driver for FreeBSD and Xorg

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Mon Mar 13 21:14:31 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has got a MicroTouch USB touch screen from his brother
(who in his turn got it from his work). FreeBSD does not support these
touch screens out of the box; the ugen(4) driver attaches, which isn't
of much use.

I wrote a patch for the FreeBSD kernel, which hacks the device into a
HID device (I'll release the patch when I've tested it enough):

| (zonk) ~ # dmesg | grep ^uhid1
| uhid1: <MicroTouch Systems, Inc. MicroTouch USB Touchscreen - EX II, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.90, addr 2> on uhub1
| (zonk) ~ # usbhidctl -f uhid1 -a
| usbhidctl: device does not support immediate mode, only changes reported.
| Digitizer:Digitizer.Digitizer:Touch=1
| Digitizer:Digitizer.Generic_Desktop:X=27600
| Digitizer:Digitizer.Generic_Desktop:Y=39672

Because a touch screen isn't a lot different than a tablet (Wacoms for
example), I could in theory use the usbtablet(4x) driver to get it
working with X11. For some reason, the usbtablet(4x) driver isn't
shipped with Xorg 6.9 anymore. Does anyone know what happened with it?
(Was it broken? License issues?) I already looked through the Xorg
webcvs, but I couldn't find the usbtablet directory in their repository.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/