VIA VM800 (or VN800) unichrome and X11

Purushotham Nayak nayak_purushotham at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 07:54:12 PST 2006

Hi All,

I have a Gateway MX3210 laptop running FreeBSD 6.0
Having lot of trouble getting X to recognize my
graphics chip. It's a S3 unichrome with the VN800 (or
VM800 I don't know which name is right) chipset. I
installed the drivers from openchrome
(www.openchrome.org) but as soon as I start X it exits
saying caught signal 11. The Xorg.0.log file says that
it found the VM800 chip. My kernel have device vga and
device agp. I tried disabling device agp and it didn't
make any difference. If anyone can help me solve this
problem I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
annu