Problems with OpenGL & the NVIDIA driver

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Sun Jun 11 04:50:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:43:24 -0400
"Naram Qashat" <cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com> wrote:

> I can't remember if I started to have this problem when I was using
> FreeBSD 5.4 or if it started when I upgraded to 6.1, but whenever I
> try to run an application that uses OpenGL or possibly just GLX
> (such as ZSNES or going into the GLX portion of nvidia-settings), I
> can see in konsole (for only a split second, not long enough to
> copy) some X error, then X seems to die on me, showing me my getty
> console, but the computer is unresponsive and what's being seen is
> a view of getty prior to X loading.  Only way to resume using the
> computer is to force a reboot by pressing the reset switch on the
> case.
>
> I compiled the x11/nvidia-driver port with WITH_VM86_INT10CALL=yes
> enabled (and WITH_LINUX being set automatically by OPTIONS).  I
> have disabled FreeBSD's AGP driver in device.hints, and I have the
> NVIDIA driver set to have NvAGP set to 1 to use it's internal AGP
> instead.  I do see a message in my Xorg.0.log file about GLX not
> NV-GLX on the list of loaded extensions.  X overall still works as
> long as I don't run an OpenGL application.  Any ideas on how I can
> fix this problem?  If more information is needed, let me know, I'll
> provide it.

I remember encountering this recently. X would screw up any time I
tried to access any thing using open GL. I had recently upgraded the
X server so I rebuilt the nvidia-driver port. After that it was all
good. The difference was I could also ssh into it and kill X and
restart it. I found it was usually chewing up nearly a hundered
percent of the CPU time when this happened. In the area of hardlocks,
I have not seen those since several revisions ago.