System instability with X.org + -stable

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Jul 22 00:07:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-Jul-21 17:57:21 -0400, Eric Anholt wrote:
>On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 07:46 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> For some time, my son has been complaining that X.org locks up when
>> the Xserver resets (eg session logout) and window switching doesn't
>> work.  I've just upgraded to the latest -stable and X.org now won't
>> start (see below).  This seems to have been getting steadily worse as
>> I've steadily upgraded the system from FreeBSD 5.x to 6.x and X.org
>> 6.8 to 6.9.
>
>Does disabling the DRI fix it?

Yes.

Interestingly, with the rebuilt X, the system is sort-of responsive
with DRI enabled (though it's the first time I've ever watched an X
server slowly draw characters on an xterm raster-line by raster-line).
The Xserver SEGV's on exit.

>  The savage DRM was probably added in 6.x.

I've checked and can't quickly find old backups to check when I started
using DRM on this box.

Is there anything I can do to help get DRM working?

--
Peter Jeremy