RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

michael johnson ahze at ahze.net
Thu Jul 13 00:27:36 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 July 2006 01:20, michael johnson wrote:
> > I agree we should move a lot of software out of X11BASE but there
> > will need to be a lot of work (esp. for gnome). I'm curious of the
> > time frame in which xorg 7 will be committed to the tree? I'm not
> > speaking for the entire freebsd gnome team but if we did decide
> > to take on this task it would probably take several months to fully
> > test and get everything working well in LOCALBASE. I think the
> > major hurdle for us isn't moving everything to LOCALBASE it's
> > more of the upgrade path people will have to take, having to
> > rebuild all gnome components and all the bugs that will follow..
>
> We certainly can't throw xorg 7 that installs in LOCALBASE in tree if that
> would break entire gnome :-) Hopefully we can come up with transition that
> would annoy users as well as maintainers the least. One option is to wait
> with xorg until most ports that now install under X11BASE are converted.
> Another one is perhaps to find out whether gnome for example would work
> installed under X11BASE with xorg itself installed under LOCALBASE.
> There's
> possibility we add xorg-7 to X_WINDOW_SYSTEM flavours (as non-default
> one),
> default X11BASE to LOCALBASE in that case. Would that help with converting
> and testing?

I might have taken your first email wrong, I was assuming you want to remove
X11BASE all together?

Moving xorg to LOCALBASE won't be a problem for gnome, I'm just saying
the gnome ports might stick around in X11BASE for a while unless
we (gnome team) get some motivation to move. We've talked about
moving gnome to LOCALBASE in the past but I think we've not attempted
this because it's quite a bit of work for not a whole lot of gain. Wanting
to remove X11BASE might be the kick we need.

Also gecko ports would probably stick around in X11BASE for a bit
due to the fact that most (if not all) gecko plugins and ports that depend
on a gecko are also heavly tied in to X11BASE.

Michael