problem with starting xorg after upgrade

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Thu Jan 5 08:02:11 PST 2006

On Thursday 05 of January 2006 14:57, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:

> > Further addition to this--actually, as long as I remove ~/.Xauthority-l
> > and ~/.Xauthority-c, it works.  I don't have to bother removing
> > .Xauthority itself.
> >
> > Again, I don't know enough about this to understand exactly what is going
> > on.  If Nakaji-san tried removing his ~/.Xauthority-c and -l files and
> > tried restarting and it works, then perhaps we're onto something.  :)
>
> I tried your suggestion and failed. The result was "I had to press
> power button twice". My problem seems different from yours.

It most probably is.

> I did:
>
> 1. Quit all X applications
> 2. Exit X session (quit fvwm2)
> 3. Remove ~/.Xauthority and /tmp/.X*
> (sync sync syc ...)
> 4. Run 'startx'
> 5. no input nor output on both serial console and console, no kbd LED
>    and no HDD LED (i.e. no kernel crash dump)
> 6. Press power button twice (off and on)
> 7. Wait fsck ...
>
> Is it ok to send PR that "X kills my system, I cannot get any more
> information"?

Well... Without more information it will probably just stay there and you
would get a periodic "Is this still a problem with recent release of
X.Org/FreeBSD".
Are there any messages about the problem in /var/log/messages? Did you try to
break to debugger at the time system froze?

> Oh, I recognized only one thing. /tmp/.X11-unix and /tmp/.XIM-unix are
> created just before system hangup, but /var/log/Xorg.0.log is not
> updated.

The directories should be there even since system startup. Is
your /etc/rc.d/cleartmp up to date? That is probably unrelated though.

Dejan