problem with starting xorg after upgrade

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Wed Jan 4 06:53:23 PST 2006

On Wednesday 04 of January 2006 03:12, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I have a problem somewhat similar to Mr. Nakaji.
>
> After upgrading to xorg-6.9.0, I would only be able to start X once.  If
> I then exited xorg, and once again typed startx, I would get a gray
> background and an X for the mouse.  I was able to move the mouse.
>
> However, that was the only thing that I was able to do.
>
> Each user could start X once.  However, once they ended their X session
> and once again tried startx, they would get the same result.  I'm the
> main user and use fluxbox, however when I tried using twm to see if it
> was a fluxbox issue, I would get the same result.
>
> My xorg.conf works with 6.8.2  Backing out of the upgrade and replacing
> 6.8.2 fixes the problem.
>
> I'm not sure what information is useful---I am including the entire
> Xorg.0.log  This is a lowend PCChips VIA motherboard, with an onboard VIA
> card.  I am also including the output of pciconf -lv
>
> Thank you for any assistance.  I have one other test box with somewhat
> better hardware which I will try tomorrow.  As I use this particular
> machine as my main home workstation, I had to put 6.8.2 back, but have
> built packages of the xorg-6.9.0 components and therefore, am willing to
> test reinstalling if there is something a developer would like me to
> try.
>
> uname -a
>
> FreeBSD mail.scottro.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #3: Thu Dec 29
> 12:30:48 EST 2005
> scottro at mail.scottro.net:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/S11  i386
>

> CONTENTS of /var/log/Xorg.0.log  (note that the refcount 2 thing also
> happens in 6.8.2, but doesn't seem to affect things)

[snip]
> AUDIT: Tue Jan  3 20:46:54 2006: 30195 X: client 1 rejected from local host
>   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
> AUDIT: Tue Jan  3 20:46:56 2006: 30195 X: client 1 rejected from local host
>   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
> AUDIT: Tue Jan  3 20:46:58 2006: 30195 X: client 1 rejected from local host
>   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
> AUDIT: Tue Jan  3 20:47:00 2006: 30195 X: client 1 rejected from local host
>   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
> AUDIT: Tue Jan  3 20:47:02 2006: 30195 X: client 1 rejected from local host
>   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

This seems to be the trouble (client would probably be fluxbox or twm here).
The only notable difference to Xauthority related stuff seems to be that
startx now adds tokens to ~/.serverauth.<startx_PID> besides the usual
~/.Xauthority file. Are you doing something unusual with XAUTHORITY
variables? Is ~/.Xauthority file of user empty when X is shut down? Are
permissions of /tmp/.X11-unix as they should be - somewhat like this:
drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Jan  1 08:36 /tmp/.X11-unix
?

Dejan