ports/85735: Force imake respect CC/CXX

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Wed Sep 14 06:00:33 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR ports/85735; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org,
 skv at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/85735: Force imake respect CC/CXX
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:56:57 +0200

 Hardcoding the value of CC and CXX is actually what I was trying to avoid.
 Namely I was considering that imake is build with gcc40 and thus CcCmd is
 recorded with value "gcc40" in Imake.tmpl. Now everything that uses imake to
 create Makefiles will grab this value and compile with same compiler imake
 port was compiled with even if this is not desired.
 However on the other hand it could also be said that that is exactly what is
 expected - that compiling imake with CC=gcc40 should in fact record that
 gcc40 is desired compiler for all things using imake. Overriding this default
 should still be possible with usual usage of make.
 Even looking at imake configuration files as defining the defaults for
 specific system (in this case FreeBSD as defined in FreeBSD.cf) both
 alternatives above make sense to me right now (with perhaps a minor tweak of
 placing such override in host.def or site.def instead of Imake.tmpl).
 As right now we are in ports slush, I would feel more comfortable in changing
 things after 6-release is out and I'll ponder on this some more until then if
 you don't think this needs urgent fixing.