Dell 700m 1280x800

Andrew Marks amracks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:32:41 PST 2005

Just got a blank screen with that one.  I installed i855vidctl, but
the video modes in the output are not correct.  I browsed throught the
source, and thougt if I could find  out how the video modes are stored
in the vbios, I could alter i855vidctl to work with my vbios, which it
doesn't seem to do right now.  I found some intel docs on the
855GM/GME, (I have the GME) but I didn't find anything about the
layout of the vbios memory.  The reason I bring this up is because my
vbios does not have the 1280x800 mode in it, and I am not expert, but
I assume that that has to be in there before Xorg can take advantage
of that mode.  Correct me if I am wrong, but would the frist step be
to add the 1280x800 mode to my video bios somehow?  and if so, where
can I get the documentation for interfacing with my video bios.  If
not, and Xorg can use resolutions that are not in the video bios, what
do I have to do go get those to work?

-Andrew