no DVI output after upgrading to xorg 6.8.2

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Fri Mar 18 12:20:51 PST 2005

On Friday 18 of March 2005 21:06, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> --On fredag, mars 18, 2005 19.46.34 +0100 Dejan Lesjak
>
> <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si> wrote:
> > On Friday 18 of March 2005 18:27, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> After upgrading xorg to 6.8.2, my Radeon 9600 SE refuses to send any
> >> output on the DVI connector. Not even in BIOS during boot. VGA works
> >> fine. Before upgrading it worked just fine.
> >>
> >> Here's what Xorg.0.log says about it:
> >>
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
> >>  Monitor   -- CRT
> >>  Connector -- VGA
> >>  DAC Type  -- Primary
> >>  TMDS Type -- NONE
> >>  DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
> >>  Monitor   -- NONE
> >>  Connector -- DVI-I
> >>  DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
> >>  TMDS Type -- Internal
> >>  DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC
> >> (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=12 min=20000 max=40000;
> >> xclk=19900
> >> (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
> >> disabled
> >>

> >> I've shut down the system and tried all sorts of things. I went back to
> >> 6.8.1, but that didn't help (why should it, even in BIOS I don't get a
> >> signal). Is the card broken, or is it some "burnt in" config that
> >> happened? In the latter case, how can I fix it?
> >>
> >> I've enclosed the xorg log and config.
> >
> > Unfortunately it seems that this list doesn't like attachments, could you
> > put  them somewhere and point to them.
> > I would suspect (given that downgrading to 6.8.1 doesn't help and
> > furthermore  even video before you get to X not working) hardware
> > failure, but I might be  wrong. You might want to ask at
> > xorg at lists.freedesktop.org as even if this is  a problem with X.Org
> > server, it most probably would not be FreeBSD specific  and there is a
> > better chance you might find someone that has the same  hardware there.
> >

> > Dejan
>
> OK, thanks for the input. I've nailed it down to the motherboard, actually,
> been switching screens, cords, graphic adapter, the motherboard fails. This
> must surely be hardware. I can configure X, using
>
>    Option          "MonitorLayout" "TMDS, NONE"
>
> so it will work through the DVI output, but BIOS and console are black :(
> (probing problem?)
>
> Luckily, there is be another month of warranty on the board, so I'll start
> there.

One thing you might try is installing Windows on it. They have ATI's own
drivers (or you can grab them from webpage) so just in case X.Org did confuse
video somehow, that should be able to restore it. I'd be also suspicious
about xorg-documents first failing and then succeeding though. If there were
more things failing in that way, it would certainly point to hardware
troubles.
Anyway, good luck with the motherboard!

Dejan