ports/75666: add Matrox MGA Driver to xorg-server

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Sun Jan 16 16:50:50 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 14:07 +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
>
> > What would be even nicer is figuring out which of the hunks of Matrox's
> > patch would cause a performance improvement, so it can get integrated
> > upstream and everyone can benefit without having to do an mess like the
> > nvidia driver that gets broken on a regular basis.  The diff is pretty
> > small if you do diff -bu
>
> I think that the same licence which prevents the x-team for merging the
> stuff matrox provides back into their source, would prevent modifying the
> xorg mga driver in any other way based on the matrox sources.

Last time I tried to ask Matrox legal about redistributing, I got no
response.  However, given that these are open-source changes to an
open-source driver, they would probably accept integration under the
normal license if we could just get someone's attention.  The reason for
the HAL and this whole mess, according to them, is that they can't
open-source the access to those features because of licensed IP, not
because they actually want the driver to be closed.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org