x11 /tmp preparation rc.d script

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Mon Jan 10 11:03:59 PST 2005

[rc@ list CCed as this threads on their territory, the start of thread is
here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2005-January/001474.html]

On Monday 10 of January 2005 19:35, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 09:40 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > Jose M Rodriguez escribió:

> > As a latter think about this, consider take also periodic related fixes
> > (We clear this directories by default) and try to get a OS_VERSION bump
> > closest to this.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here.  Are you
> saying that /etc/periodic contains something that will wipe out X's
> files in /tmp?  That would be rather broken.

/etc/periodic/daily/110.clean-tmps cleans out empty directories that have not
been modified in $daily_clean_tmps_days days. This ones should therefore be
added to $daily_clean_tmps_ignore in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf, just to be
on the safe side.

Other than that, I don't really know what would be the best way to handle
creation of this directories and haven't commented so far, but since I'm
already writing (mostly because I thought rc@ list should be CCed), here's my
opinion FWIW: the simplest seems to be a patch from Pawel Worach at
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-November/042445.html
The benefit of using this simple approach is that it is simple (of course :)
and furthermore it only adds two more directories to /tmp at startup as
oposed to adding a file in /etc/rc.d. The difference being one inode. But
then again, perhaps I don't see all the implications and this is too simple.
Is there a real benefit in creating another rc.d script for doing this and
adding a knob to turn creation of these directories off?
Yes of course that would only solve things on -current and -stable, however
there is already an UPDATING entry for this and we can always add a script to
be installed from a port that would take care of transition period (probably
as soon in dependency tree as possible, ie -libraries).

Dejan