Extremely slow window redrawing in Xorg

ZC Wong zcwong at acm.org
Fri Feb 11 17:01:30 PST 2005

Hi,

I am running the copy of Xorg shipped with FreeBSD 5.3 release on a Trident
Cyber-XP4. It seems there's no DRI driver for this card after looking
around. Xorg works pretty well, I only added a few line to make it work in
the resolution and colour depth I want. xvinfo shows xv is supported. But
window redrawing is unreasonably slow, for example when you draw a window to
move it around or you scroll the vertical scroll bar in mozilla to read a
webpage. Also mplayer does run but the video window is constantly blue(It
does show the white triangle icon and stuff when it's playing, so guess the
video interface is fine, could probably be the problem of codec).

My question would be what could be causing the window redrawing to slow
down? DRI? xv? Or something else?

Also what do I need to check in case mplayer shows a blue window?