FreeBSD desktop?

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 1 12:14:45 GMT 2005

On Monday, 1. August 2005 13:36, ray at redshift.com wrote:

> Anyway, any help anyone can provide would be great?  I just feel like I'm
> lacking a core understanding of how Windowing and desktop interfaces to the
> Kernel.  And like I say, as much as I would like to make this all happen on
> FreeBSD, it seems like Linux maybe is a better choice?

[-hackers@ taken off the CC-list]

You already got it pretty much right. X is a server that provides a display
for client applications to display windows on. To get something going that
resembles your run-of-the-mill Linux desktop, install your favourite desktop
environment or window manager from ports and put it into the appropriate X
startup script.

Example:
[as root] pkg_add -r blackbox
echo "blackbox" > ~/.xinitrc
startx

Or if you want something that resembles the graphical login on SuSE:

[as root] pkg_add -r kdebase
[as root] edit /etc/ttys and replace the line

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

with

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

[as root] killall -HUP init

You'll get a graphical login screen which will automatically come up every
time you boot.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org