FreeBSD desktop?

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 11:56:36 GMT 2005

On 8/1/05, ray at redshift.com <ray at redshift.com> wrote:
>   Maybe someone on the hackers or x11 list can help me get going the right
> direction here.  I can setup FreeBSD servers like the wind - tweak the kernel,
> you name it.  So this weekend I tried to install FreeBSD 5.4 on my desktop -
> what a mess.  I never could get anything to run, other than startx or xstart or
> something.  I ended up once with a blank desktop (I think I typed X) and another
> time with the same desktop, but with 3 open windows.  Anyway, I finally gave up.
>
>   Anyone have any run down on loading FreeBSD as your desktop?  I am trying to
> go with FreeBSD because I use it for my servers, but I feel like I'm lacking a
> broad understanding of how Unix handles windows.  I get the impression there is
> a server that deals with windows called X windows and then there are different
> desktop managers (such as KDE, Gnome, etc) - but I don't understand the
> interplay between them and the Kernel as it relates to how I normally see FreeBSD.
>
>   I'm wondering if someone can give me an overview?

Chapter 5 in the Handbook, The X Window System, is probably what
you're looking for:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"