ports/74265: XFree86 Version 4.4.0 with KDE 3.1 freezes up in death loop

ALeine aleine at austrosearch.net
Sat Nov 27 10:50:27 PST 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/74265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "ALeine" <aleine at austrosearch.net>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Cc: "S. C. Sprong" <s.c.sprong at student.utwente.nl>
Subject: Re: ports/74265: XFree86 Version 4.4.0 with KDE 3.1 freezes up in death loop
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:47:29 -0800 (PST)

 After a few more days of paying close attention to my XFree86
 usage I can confirm that the problem seems to be triggered by
 scrolling. It usually happens when I'm using the Opera browser
 (Opera 7.54 final). I've switched to the Firefox browser today
 and there have been no lock-ups so far, but the color blotching
 problem is still present. I have a feeling this might be related
 to some kind of memory leak.

 I think we can exclude hardware issues because I have also been
 running previous versions of FreeBSD and XFree86 on the same
 hardware for years without any problems.

 Furthermore, I think we can rule out kernel issues because the
 problem appears in an identical way on both 4.10-STABLE and
 5.3-STABLE.

 I have traced the problem to the same location in XFree86 as
 you have done in Xorg and checking the sources in the
 xorg/xc/programs/Xserver/os directories shows that there are
 no major changes between XFree86 and Xorg in that part of the
 code tree, so there must be a bug in how that code is used
 because the code itself seems not to have changed in a major
 way since 2001.

 When I find some free time I plan to check the CVS diffs
 for the XFree86 sources to see what changed since the last
 version, which did not have this problem. Can you do the same
 for Xorg? Which is the latest version you used that did not
 have this problem?

 ALeine