ports/25576: XFree86-4 port installs manual pages with clashing names

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Thu Nov 4 14:20:31 PST 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/25576; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org, dot at dotat.at
Subject: Re: ports/25576: XFree86-4 port installs manual pages with clashing names
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:16:44 +0100

 It seems that it wouldn't take much to install man pages with x postfix, which
 would enable for example calling X mouse driver manpage with 'man 4x mouse',
 while getting FreeBSD mouse driver with 'man 4 mouse'.
 To see how this would work, one just needs to rename for
 example /usr/X11R6/man/man4/mouse.4.gz to /usr/X11R6/man/man4/mouse.4x.gz. In
 case of manpages that only come with X (like s3virge(4)) adding x postfix
 doesn't prevent one to still get a manpage with 'man 4 s3virge'. I don't see
 downsides to this at the moment, but there might be some.
 As far as I understand the problem seems to be in getting to X manpages when
 there already exist manpages with the same name. In case of mouse(4), one
 needs to do something like 'man -a mouse' and then skip the first (kernel
 driver) page.
 Would this be a sensible solution to the problem? Are there any downsides to
 this?