XFree86 4.4 port ??

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri May 21 14:06:34 PDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> The update to XFree86 seems rather painless

except for the 'support' aspect of answering all the questions and
dealing with whatever new breakage there is (with that many lines
of code, _something_ will always break).  I think this is what has
everyone holding back -- no one, so far, has seemed to want to step
up and do that in the way Eric has up until now.

> changing to X.org will break many
> ports, in particular those that don't use correctly $(X11BASE).*

The appropriate solution to ports with bugs is for someone to submit
a PR against each one so that it can be fixed.  If we followed the
above philosophy to its illogical conclusion, we would never be able
to make any changes anywhere in FreeBSD.

Further, fixing each of these ports can be done independently of
any server upgrade, with fairly low support burden; there's no
reason not to get started on them.

mcl