xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)

Michael Eads eads at niuhep.physics.niu.edu
Thu May 20 16:46:16 PDT 2004

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.9 on an old pentium 166 machine with an Ark
Logic PCI video card (2MB RAM). The installation went without a hitch,
but I am having some trouble getting XFree86 to work. I ran the X
configuration and the config file was generated, but I am unable to start
the x server:

$ startx
Using authority file /home/eads/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/eads/.Xauthority
Using authority file /home/eads/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/eads/.Xauthority

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.9 i386 [ELF]
Build Date: 07 October 2003
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun May 20 18:40:52 2018
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).