x.org server

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon May 17 22:07:21 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 13:04, jason wrote:
> I am looking to update my x server and I found x.org in the ports.  It
> was hiden so I would like to know if it is ready for desktop use or is
> it still under development/debugging.  I was going to update to
> xfree86-4-snap until I found the x.org version.  Also do I need to do
> anything special when I upgrade from version 4.3, like change config
> files or something?  I expect I have to rebuild all ports that depend on x.
> Thanks,
> Jason

The xorg server in ports is part of progress towards switching our X
over to X.Org/freedesktop.org libraries and providing the X.Org server.
It doesn't cooperate with XFree86-4-libraries, and the x.org/fd.o
libraries aren't a complete replacement for XFree86-4-libraries yet.  If
you don't want to experience pain, you should probably just use
XFree86-4-snap.

That said, I'm using it on my desktop.  To try it, just switch the
XFree86-4-libraries dependency in bsd.port.mk to point to xlibs instead,
pkg_delete -f XFree86-4-libraries (leave clients and the rest of them),
and go for it.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org