ports/66404: New port: x11-servers/X.org-devel

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Sun May 9 22:44:19 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 01:42, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 01:21:04AM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 00:09, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm also working on building ports similar to XFree86-4 ones; I have put
> > > an archive here:
> > >
> > > 	http://www.thinbsd.org/Xorg-ports-2004-05-08.tar.gz
> > >
> > > I'm currently running a mix of these ports and XFree86-4.3 parts. Be aware
> > > that this is a work in progress and may not work at all on your machine.
> >
> > Thanks.  I'm planning on taking a slightly different route, though (and
> > I'll try to explain for others who've been asking me):
>
> [...]
>
> > As far as current status, I'm running the X.Org server on my machine
> > with the mix of X.Org and fd.o libraries we have (with a few more that
> > are uncommitted).
> [...]
>
> Is there any place were these can be downloaded ?

CVS, now.  I think I got it all in there, including the server.

> > The next steps, off the top of my head:
>
> [...]
>
> > - Check xorg-server build on non-x86
>
> This should not be a problem: my primary workstation is an amd64 machine
> and the server is working nicely on it.
> I believe I only had to add a small patch for pci stuff.

Excellent, I'd be happy to get patches for it.

> > - prepare XFree86-4-Server to coexist with and depend appropriately on
> > the new libraries
>
> If the new Xorg-server could be made to work with these from the beginning
> it would be a sure win :)

It does.  The concern is keeping existing ports working after we throw
the switch.  But that's a ways off still.

The patch attached is what I've been using to make other ports depend on
xlibs.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org