FYI

Ulisse Bemer ulibemer at fastwebnet.it
Thu May 6 07:14:40 PDT 2004

maybe I'm dumb, but...
I really don't understand why the new XFree86 license would be "non-free", like Stallman and the GNU
people are asserting.

Seriously, I think that people like the XFree86 folks, who are willing to give away the results of
their work just in exchange for proper *credits* - and so, without the annoying restrictions of the
GNU-sponsored GPL license, which claims to be "free" but it *forces* everybody to give away *their*
source code as well - must be supported, and not boycotted.

I think that all Open Source software should be supported:  the fewer restrictions, the better. You
can't boycott someone because he uses a license that has *fewer* restrictions than yours, that seems
to me as just plain arrogance.

Moreover, the new XFree86 License is not applied to the external libraries  - that is, you can run
GLPed software on top of XFree86 4.4.0 without problems.

Anyway... I'm sorry if i went OT in a technical list. And thanks for bringing us the *free* XFree86.
:-)

regards,
ulisse bemer