XFree86 4.4.0

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at asme.org
Wed Mar 3 20:04:44 PST 2004

This is just IMHO;

The license change doesn't have any effect whatsoever. As the thread in XFree86
showed, the new XFree86 license is not the only license in the code that is not
'GPL-compatible', furthermore, according to the FAQ:

"To avoid issues with application programs such as KDE and GNOME and other
X-based applications, that are licensed under the GPL, the 1.1 licence is not
being applied to client side libraries."

Again IMHO, the new license doesn't seem less ethical than the original BSD
license and we didn't have any problem with that.

Even more IMHO, all this license discussion is caused because the GPL people are
just discovering they are not alone or autosufficent.. I don't believe RMS's
explanation of why the GPL'd can link to a propietary libc, but not to a
propietary xlib.

In sum, i don't want to start a license thread, but I would expect the only
reason we don't have an XFree 4.4.0 port is because no one has found the time to
update it.

Pedro.