XFree86-4 balls up

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:55:59 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 08:48, Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> On 7/6/04 11:33 PM, "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Monday 07 June 2004 09:26, Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> >> But that¹s the problem, I'm not trying to mix and match. I cvs'uped,
> >> removed all packages and did a clean install of XFree86-4 using the meta
> >> port. The problems start occuring when XFree86-4-libraries start to
> >> compile, it starts compiling Xft2 (I think) then I complains that Xrender
> >> is either too old or not available due to the fact that there is no pkg
> >> information regarding xrender in the /usr/X11R6/libdata/pkgconfig
> >> directory.
> >
> > XFree86-libraries builds fine on the automated package builder, so I suspect
> > some kind of local breakage after all. It might be helpful if you could post
> > some bits of the error you're getting plus a list of your installed packages.
>
> Sorry, I got the wrong one. Its the XFree86-4 client that is the problem.
> What happens XFree86-4-libraries compiled nicely as mentioned by you,
> however, when the dependency Xft2 is attempted to be compiled, it complains
> about Xrender not being available, however, libXrender conflicts with the
> client and thus unable to be installed.
>
> What I'll do is recompile.
>
> As for the packages installed, as I said, nothing is installed, I whiped all
> the packages off so there is just the base; there is no X11 or anything
> else. Its a "clean install" in other words.

You don't install libXrender on your own, you install
XFree86-4-libraries which provides it.  That's why it talks about
conflicts when you try to install the separate port.  If Xft can't find
your Xrender, then you've probably broken something with your
XFree86-4-libraries install and should reinstall it.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org