FBSD 4-stable and Radeon9200 (XFree86 4.4?)

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Fri Jun 4 07:34:44 PDT 2004

Dear colleagues,

trying to upgrade my good'n'old video card some months ago I changed it to
radeon 7200. All worked flawlessly excluding drm: both in-tree and ports
version successfully recognized drm, but starting X with it froze screen with
grey'n'flickering display. Machine is still accessible via the net, so I log in
and checked processes status: X server eats all the CPU, and after `kill -9'
stalls in DE state.

So, I moved further and tried to upgrade to newer radeon just to check.
Unfortunately, the cheapest model I found was 9200, which is not supported by
XFree86 4.3. I tried to look into sources, but 4.4 XServer infrastructure seems
totally different comparing with 4.3, and I got frightened to dig into deeply.

So, here are two questions:

- any recommendations with drm activation?
- approximate time to integrate XFree86 4.4 to the port tree (especially for 4
branch)?

Thanks in advance. Please keep me CC:d

Sincerely,