Installing xorg on AMD64 without_dri

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sat Jul 24 19:29:10 PDT 2004

On 15-Jul-2004 Maarten Sanders wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a bit new to Freebsd.
> I have a clean 5.2.1. install on amd64 without any X installed yet. I
> have cvsup'ed and portupgraded all last night. Now I try to install
> xorg.
> My plan is make install clean the xorg metaport. But, make install
> exits when trying to make and install dri becuase it won't compile on
> amd64.
> Now I have seen there is an 'knob' WITHOUT_DRI but how do I enable
> this?

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, there is no such knob, not yet.

Simple workaround for now: edit /usr/ports/x11/xorg/Makefile and
comment out the line declaring the dri dependency.

#       ${X11BASE}/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/dri

> Other question: after this I want to apply the patch xorg-conv-1.diff
> and continue to install gnome/kde. Is this the right way to go?

I don't know what that patch is, or why you'd want/need to apply it in
order to install GNOME/KDE.  Probably unnecessary.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"