HEADSUP: X.Org conversion

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Fri Jul 23 15:14:55 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 15:04, Daniel Lang wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Anholt wrote on Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 12:11:09PM -0700:
> > OK, the final version of the X.Org conversion patch has hit the tree.
> > No ports appear to be broken by the upgrade at this time.  X.Org has
> > been made the default X distribution on -current.  Other versions of
> > FreeBSD retain the same default X distribution (XFree86) but can upgrade
> > by setting X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg in /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > To upgrade, you must remove your XFree86 ports and install the xorg
> > ports.  It couldn't be done with portupgrade, unfortunately, because we
> > are keeping the XFree86 ports around.  To upgrade:
> [..]
>
> Why does "keeping the XFree86 ports around" prevent one from
> using portupgrade? I can specify a different port to
> upgrade with with -o, like (simplified):
>
> portupgrade -o x11/xorg XFree86-4.3.0_X

I mean, having portupgrade do the right thing with portupgrade -a for
users of both XFree86 and X.Org.  The current system seems less painful
than all the portupgrade solutions I've heard proposed, as long as we
keep XFree86 the default on any platform.

If portmgr and re would accept us moving to X.Org on all versions of
FreeBSD, and we had a good way of handling that (the repocopy and MOVED
solution is pretty messy, but I'd do it if that was all we had), I'd
love to see it happen.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org