Using xorg instead of XFree86

pfgshield-pedro at yahoo.com pfgshield-pedro at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 10:39:24 PDT 2004

Matthew Gardiner wrote:
<snip>
> > But i also have some questions about switching to xorg.
> >
> > (1) Will xorg be the default X in future FreeBSD Releases?

> Not too sure, however, I think the whole idea of maintaining the two is
> rather stupid and the resources would be better spent simply maintaining one
> than trying to pander to those who wish to use XFree86 4.4

It might seem stupid (to you), but as long as there are maintainer both will
survive. That said AFAIK only one person has offered to maintain XFree86 and no
one has offered to maintain X.Org.

At this stage FreeBSD 5.3 will still use XFree86 4.3 though :(.

> For all intensive purposes, Xorg has become the defacto standard for X11
> implementations; FreeBSD might as well go with the flow.

Hmm... I would argue, from a license POV, that XFree86 can include all the Xorg
enhancements in their distribution and might result being more stable.. but
well .... time will tell.

cheers,

    Pedro.