Upgrade to 5.3-STABLE broke X?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Dec 30 21:50:39 PST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Eric Anholt wrote:

> I'm not sure yet.  I was assuming it was some regression in 6.8.0/1
> which would have been fixed in 6.8.2, so I made a patch to pull in the
> updates, http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/X/patch-i810-6_8 which would
> be dropped in x11-server/xorg-server/files/ before you rebuild/install
> it.  The associated PR is
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/75425 and has
> information on other workarounds.

Thanks; I actually installed from a package, so I'm downloading the
sources now.  Should be compiled some time next year :-)

Actually, I'll interrupt it after I've downloaded the sources, and try
some of the mentioned workarounds.

> If you'd like to contribute to the debugging process, please note what
> hardware you're seeing the issue on in a followup to ports/75425, and
> try out patch-i810-6_8 to see if it helps.  One person has said it
> didn't help them, but I'd like to see two before I give up on this
> angle.

Will do.  I'm happy to help any way I can, as I want my X back...

> I'm also concerned about the V_BIOS warnings I've seen, which have meant
> AGP issues in the past, though it seems odd that it would crop up now.
> Getting people to say what hardware they're seeing the issue on
> (something that's been rather lacking until now) could help a lot here.

Yes, I noticed something about checksum errors, but there's not much
I can do about that (except to look for a new BIOS to flash, and hope
that it works...).

[ Broken links ]

> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ would be the place to complain about
> that :)

It seems that had a server crash or something.

-- Dave