HEADS UP: Ports freeze for 4.11-R

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Dec 18 00:55:10 PST 2004

On Saturday, 18. December 2004 07:30, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> [ Redirected to -x11. ]
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:53:11PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > The ports freeze for 4.11-RELEASE will start on 12/30 at 12:01 AM UTC.
> > It's our intention to have a short freeze of a week or less this time
> > because the ports collection is in relatively good shape on 4.x at the
> > moment, so please don't do anything to change that.
> >
> > In particular, in the lead-up to the freeze, please make sure you test
> > major updates carefully on 4.x prior to committing, and if you don't
> > have the opportunity to do so, then either ask someone else to test,
> > or hold off until after the freeze.
>
> I know most of us are quite busy this time of year, but out of
> curiosity, is there any chance at all of Xorg 6.8 making it into the
> tree before this release?

The default X Window System for 4.x is XFree86 anyway - and given how near 4.x
is to its EOL, that won't change anymore.

Xorg on 4.x actually isn't much of a safe bet - packages are not built for it
(or against it) and any combination FreeBSD4 + Xorg + <some-port> receives
few to zero testing. I've already seen one report of KDE "not working right"
on 4.x with the Xorg 6.8.1 patches that have been floating around - and since
nobody from the current KDE team has time to maintain a 4.x + Xorg system,
this combination will most likely become unsupported.

So, cut short, you should think twice before deploying 4.x systems with Xorg,
it will greatly increase your support overhead one way or the other - if for
the only reason that you will need to build your own packages for them.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org