X.Org refuses to use other modes than 640x480 60Hz (radeon)

Jan-Espen Pettersen sigsegv at leakingmemory.org
Mon Aug 16 16:53:28 PDT 2004

Jan-Espen Pettersen wrote:

> I think this is a configuration issue. Even though X.Org tells it is
> running 1280x1024, the monitor says it is 640x480 60Hz. (And it
> clearly looks like 640x480) I suspect this clone display (that was
> never detected by XFree86-4.3) to have something to do with this.

Short problem description:
XFree86-4.4 and X.Org refused all other modes than 640x480, which was
the highest possible clone display mode. The modes were refused for
"both" (clone/primary .. and I have no second display connected, only
one.) displays/screens. I'm not trying to run dual head. (see log and
config in previous message)

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2004-July/000684.html

I reproduced the same problem with XFree86-4.4, but later found out that
Option "NoDDC2", in monitor section solved the problem. I was then able
to use 1280x1024 as I previously did with XFree86 4.3.

Maybe corrupted, or otherwise incorrect,  DDC data?

Anyway, I'm happy with this finally working.