ports/64251: -font option for `xclock -digital' no workie

Martin Karlsson martink+lists at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Apr 30 02:50:24 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/64251; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Karlsson <martink+lists at sdf.lonestar.org>
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at monkeys.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/64251: -font option for `xclock -digital' no workie
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:48:44 +0200

 * Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at monkeys.com> [2004-04-29 15.02 -0700]:

 > In message <20040429205734.GA58476 at bajstass.bredbandsbolaget.se>, you wrote:
 >
 > >Apparently, some aspects of xclock(1) have changed, while its
 > >documentation (it seems) has not.
 > >
 > >The correct syntax now seems to be e.g.:
 > >    fixed-9:width=semicondensed:weight=bold
 > >used with either the XClock*Face widget (not Font) in ~/.Xdefaults
 > >or ~/.Xresources, or with the '-fa' flag to xclock(1).
 > >
 > >The following url (thank you, Google) is where I found out:
 > ><URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/debian-x-200403/msg02495.html>
 >
 > Thank you for looking into this.  I do appreciate it.
 >
 > However I am still at a loos to know exactly what I need to do in
 > order to get an xclock display which uses the "12x24" fixed-width
 > font.
 >
 > Can you help me?

 [Cc:ed to gnats so others can find this in the PR database]

 I think so. I looked at the xclock manpage for XFree86-4.4.0 * (which is newer
 than whats in the ports tree), and found that you can use the flag '-norender'
 to xclock. With that, you should be able to use your familiar way of specifying
 the font to use.  An example:

     $ xclock -norender -d -font 12x24

 I've tried it, and it works for me.

 HTH