www/184349: Very slow connection to Windows x64 System

Archy archy at i-services.com.hk
Thu Nov 28 09:10:01 UTC 2013

>Number:         184349
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       Very slow connection to Windows x64 System
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD Router-xx 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct 15 09:29:45 HKT 2013     root at Router-xx:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/ROUTER-NETMAP  amd64

I found a problem but I could not justify is that problem of FreeBSD or Windows.

I got very slow connection between two machine, only HTTP have problem.

Server : FreeBSD 9.2 x86_64
Client: Windows 7 x86_64

The problem was found since I use the FreeBSD 9.2 as a web server ,
client complaint the connection very slow , have only ~1kbps ,
I have change the server side from Apache to Lighttpd , no luck ,
and I test the line with FTP SSH protocol ,
Server to Client with same IP address , connection have >30Mbps via internet .

After that , I use the same IP address of server side ,
change it to FreeBSD 9.1 x86_64 and have no problem of the HTTP connections ,
got 30Mbps back again.

Then I change the server back to FreeBSD 9.2 x86_64 ,
and change the client side from Windows 7 x86_64 to Windows 2008 x86_64 ,
the problem exist , whatever a chrome / IE / or any download agents .
And I change to a Win7 32bit , the line get back to 30Mbps again with HTTP.

All test use the same Server IP and Client IP , IP have no changed.

As I have tested and got the following result:
FreeBSD 9.2 x86_64 > Windows6.1(Win7/2008) x86_64 slow with HTTP but other work fine
Same IP address of both sides
FreeBSD 9.1 x86_64 >Windows6.1(Win7/2008) x86_64 works fine.

Here is my custom kernel configuration (Both 9.1 and 9.2) hope it helps :
options         DUMMYNET
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT
device          pf
device          pflog
device          pfsync
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ
options         ALTQ_RED
options         ALTQ_RIO
options         ALTQ_HFSC
options         ALTQ_CDNR
options         ALTQ_PRIQ
options         ALTQ_NOPCC
options	     ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS
options         TCP_SIGNATURE
options         IPSEC
options         IPSEC_FILTERTUNNEL
device          cryptodev
device          crypto
options        HZ=1000
device          carp
device          netmap

And more information , I put the server and client with-in the same subnet ,
it will have no problem , but I don't think that is a routing problem ,
since I have test with only one router hop between server and client ,
it will got the problem back again , no matter the router is a Cisco or FreeBSD box.