www/162518: Shellinabox

Troy tbahan at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 14:30:11 UTC 2011

>Number:         162518
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       Shellinabox
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD mail.homefbsd.org 9.0-RC1 FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 #0: Tue Oct 18 18:51:43 UTC 2011     root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
After starting the shellinabox, /var/run/ did not have .pid file but ps -ax would show that the program was running.
Client side:
The browser would display a login prompt.  As soon as the user name has been entered, it closed the session.

example:
mail1 login: username
Session closed.

/etc/rc.conf

shellinaboxd_enable="YES"
shellinaboxd_port="8022"
shellinaboxd_certdir="/usr/local/etc/shellinabox"

>How-To-Repeat:
cd /usr/ports/www/shellinabox/
make
make install

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/shellinaboxd start

ls /var/run/

ps -ax | grep shellinaboxd
>Fix:
Partial fix:
If I run the program from the command line, it works without a problem.

Working command line:
/usr/local/bin/shellinaboxd --user=shellinabox --group=shellinabox --port=8022 --background=/var/run/shellinaboxd.pid --cert=/usr/local/etc/shellinabox

Client side:

login: username
Password:
Last login: Sun Nov 13 09:00:58 from 192.168.1.33
FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 (GENERIC) #0: Tue Oct 18 18:51:43 UTC 2011

Welcome to FreeBSD!...etc

NOTE:  When it is working, only "login:" appears not "<host> login:".

Something in the rc starting sequence that I cannot find.  I hope this helps.