fault tolerant web servers on freebsd

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 22:54:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Maciej Jan Broniarz <gausus at gausus.net>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am thinking about building a fault tolerant web servers running FreeBSD.
> The servers would be serving web sites using jails+apache+php+mysql.
> Would anyone be so kind, as to give me some advice about building such a
> solution? I have read a lot about freebsd cluster, but it was focused on
> computing clusters, and not fault tolerant one.
>
> If anyone has some experience with the issue, I'll be very grateful.
>
> Best regards,
> mjb

There is a concept : Self-stabilization .

There will be a ring of computers working simultaneously . If any one of
them fails , others will continue to handle tasks requested from those
systems . Such a ring may utilize load-balancing to distribute work load to
currently working computers .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-stabilization
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.88.4096&rep=rep1&type=pdf
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A03uoRZ7YbpLwjUB8W.bvZx4?p=self+stabilization&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

www.selfstabilization.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_balancing_%28computing%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fault_tolerance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Reliability_engineering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Distributed_computing

Actually , FreeBSD itself is an operating system : It manages single
computers . You need other software to handle distributed computing . Such a
language among others is

www.mozart-oz.org
*Mozart is available as a FreeBSD port.

*Thank you very much .