Observation on bit torrent.

Derek Young freebsd at devek.us
Tue Oct 21 18:01:41 UTC 2008

This isn't a big deal, just something I wanted to point out.

http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/stats.html?info_hash=4d6b233808d8b721025a2a9ccd792ace2bbc0104

Almost all of the leechers are from Mexican IP addresses identifying
themselves as having a mainline 3.4.2 client.

http://devek.us/mainline1.png
http://devek.us/mainline2.png
http://devek.us/mainline3.png
http://devek.us/mainline4.png
http://devek.us/mainline5.png

You can see that on the receiving end, that person can pull quite a bit of
traffic from just me(over 700KiB at times). No matter how much they pull,
they never report having more than 2% complete download.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_bittorrent

For those who do not know, mainline is the "official" bit torrent client. It
was released under a MIT license until version 3.4.2. No one actually runs
3.4.2 anymore. Many immature clients that are based off of that code base
identify themselves as mainline 3.4.2, so many torrent trackers ban 3.4.2
for this reason.

Someone is either testing something, has a broken client, or is malicious.
There are over 100 seeders, there is no way this person does not make some
sort of impact on our distribution. It is not a big deal to me if someone is
testing something, as long as it does not get in the way of people who are
legitimately trying to download FreeBSD.

-Devek