Some thoughts about www.freebsd.org, and call for volunteers

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 27 11:39:07 UTC 2008

Hello Murray,

Sunday, April 27, 2008, 11:15:42 AM, you wrote:

> I've been thinking of various ways to make the content we present on
> http://www.FreeBSD.org more compelling and up to date.  A more
> complete description of some ideas I'm planning to work on is posted
> here :

>     * Enabling comments and feedback on items posted to the site.
> Readers of the site should have the opportunity to comment on
> newsflash entries and vote on development project ideas/priorities.
> Requiring updaters of the site to manually edit news.xml may not be
> the best way to handle this. Perhaps some kind of blogging software
> could be used which is then scraped into a static newsflash.html file
> while providing links back to the official blog to facilitate user
> comments.

This can be handled by our forum. It's already set up and possible to
use. For each news item is being created a new topic so that users can
talk about it. However I am not sure how far we are from launching it
publicly. It is now mostly stalled because the forum rules are not
documented and nobody took care about this stuff yet. Maybe Joel will
be able to post a status about this in more detail as he volunteered
to handle it :-)

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                            mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org