RFC: putting our graphs onto the website

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 24 18:08:09 UTC 2007

On 2007.04.22 12:39:26 +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 10:45:49PM +0200, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as you probably know, we started to maintain some nice graphs about the
> > mentor-mentee relationships between the project and I added one more
> > about the specific teams recently. If you haven't noticed these graphs,
> > go and check them in src/share/misc.
> >
> > As we have this nice stuff now, I think it would be nice to make them
> > available for the public. I could have just put it into
> > people.freebsd.org to my place, but I think the official website is
> > better for this, since it is rebuilt regularly and get more attention.
> >
> > I have a patch for building the graphs in www/en/gifs/Makefile, but it
> > would need graphics/graphviz to be installed on www.FreeBSD.org
> > (webmaster CC'd) and be added to textproc/docproj (doceng CC'd).
> > The patch is here: http://gabor.t-hosting.hu/patches/graphs.diff
> > And the rendered version is here:
> > http://gabor.t-hosting.hu/data/organization.html
> >

> I'm not really happy with the fact we should add another dependency to
> the textproc/docproj port.  graphics/graphviz has a lot of heavy

It's not really required fpr graphwiz to be added to textproc/docproj
just because it may be used for the www build.  Already today you
cannot build complete doc/ with only textproc/docproj installed (the
Palm book tools are not installed).

One could just only build the graph's on www.freebsd.org, and not by
default - see www/en/ports/Makefile for example on how we already do
that.

WRT. the size of the graph I agree that is not optimal, but by using a
smaller font it should be possible to handle that.

While the mentor graph's aren't useful per say, I think they are kind
of neat :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen