www/111791: FreeBSD website messes up links

Eric P. Scott eps+pcmt0704 at ana.com
Thu Apr 19 17:10:10 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR www/111791; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Eric P. Scott" <eps+pcmt0704 at ana.com>
To: Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: www/111791: FreeBSD website messes up links
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

 Justin, you're not the first person to be burned by this.  I
 submitted my own PR (www/107291), and got blown off the same
 way.  It's a legitimate complaint, and it's one of the most
 frequent examples pointed out to me [by Linux advocates] of
 how "we" "just don't get it."

 -------

 For Mozilla-branded browsers (Firefox, SeaMonkey), add the
 following lines to your prefs.js [while the browser is not
 running!]:

 user_pref("capability.policy.nojs.javascript.enabled", "noAccess");
 user_pref("capability.policy.nojs.sites", "http://www.freebsd.org http://docs.freebsd.org http://people.freebsd.org");
 user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "nojs");

 You don't need to install any extensions, and this will not
 adversely impact your enjoyment of any non-FreeBSD sites.

 -------

 Our web site is an important marketing and communications tool.
 In its current state, it's alienating the very people we're
 trying to reach.  The adamant refusals to repair what is so
 obviously and seriously broken only help fuel a mounting
 perception that FreeBSD has fallen into the hands of arrogant
 jerks (believe me, I'm toning this down).  I'm seeing a lot of
 small and medium-sized businesses migrate their [no longer
 supported] FreeBSD 4.x-based infrastructure away from FreeBSD
 entirely.  The number one reason they give for this is
 "attitude."  This outranks concerns about technical issues
 (features, performance, etc.).  They don't like the current state
 of affairs, and have little confidence things will turn around
 any time soon.

 FreeBSD is driven by a large, enthusiastic volunteer community.
 The vast majority are good, hard-working, caring people, who help
 keep us on track.  There are a few--and I stress few--whose
 actions (or inactions) reflect poorly on the rest of us.  This is
 hardly a unique situation.

 Thank you for adding your voice, and try not to let this
 experience dampen your enthusiasm.

 					-=EPS=-