www/98045: phpmyadmin post-installation example for adding alias to httpd.conf causes syntax error when starting httpd

Brian Gourlie bgourlie at gmail.com
Sat May 27 22:44:23 PDT 2006

>Number:         98045
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       phpmyadmin post-installation example for adding alias to httpd.conf causes syntax error when starting httpd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The post-installation notes following the installation of phpmyadmin give an example for adding a phpmyadmin alias to the httpd.conf.  See post-installing output:

To make phpMyAdmin available through your web site, I suggest
that you add something like the following to httpd.conf:

    Alias /phpmyadmin/ "/usr/local/www/phpMyAdmin/"

    <Directory "/usr/local/www/phpMyAdmin/">
        Options none
        AllowOverride Limit

        Order Deny, Allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1 .example.com
    </Directory>

This example will cause a syntax error when starting httpd, because of the following line:

        Order Deny, Allow

The whitespace between "Deny, Allow" causes the syntax error, httpd prompting the user that it is not a valid argument for the "Order" directive.

>How-To-Repeat:
Install phpmyadmin from the ports directory
>Fix:
Change the line in the example from:

        Order Deny, Allow

        Order Deny,Allow