query-pr form

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 23 08:27:15 PST 2006

Hello www,

  There was a talk in the past about merging query-pr.cgi into the
  query-pr-summary.cgi. I have done that work, but it got never
  committed into the tree and after shaun@ rewrote the whole
  query-pr.cgi script the diff was completely unusable. Also, some
  people told me that this would not be really an ideal way for
  reaching the goal we wanted to reach by merging these two scripts
  together -- being able to display the same html form to query the
  GNATS database.  By that time I was told by Simon (IIRC) that it
  would be pretty nice to have something like separated html file
  which would display the form from both scripts. Actually, since the
  form is not really a static html (it's being generated with a help
  of query-pr.web script) this was not an option. Anyway, after some
  time, tobez@ poked me again today, that he wants to reference the
  query-pr.cgi from the query-pr-summary.cgi script, because he uses
  that one form provided by query-pr.cgi more often than the latter.

  Well, I thought a bit about the whole thing and I didn't like only
  referencing it, since it's not a real fix for this kind of thing.
  So I managed to take a look at the scripts again, and I tried to
  resolve this problem.

  Basically, I moved a few functions out of query-pr-summary and
  moved them to the new query-pr-lib.pl, which now provides a
  procedure to display both html forms, one to query a specific PR
  (which is now available only from query-pr.cgi script) and the
  form with an interface to query the GNATS database (which is now
  available only from -summary.cgi script). Well, then I included
  the -lib.pl in the both scripts and modified query-pr.cgi to use
  the displayform() function to generate the html forms.  Now both
  of them use the same procedure to display the forms and the code
  is not duplicated.

  For those with access to freefall - it is possible to test it via
  freefall/~danger/cgi/query-pr(-summary).cgi to see the solution.

  The diff I've produced is available at:
  http://cvsup.sk.freebsd.org/~danger/query-pr.diff

  Any comments? I would like to get this committed once I will get an
  approval from my mentors.

  PS: I wish you all a Merry Christmas and happy New Year ;-)

--
Kind Regards,

 Daniel Gerzo                             mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org