nanobsd and mutli vap support

Marten info at martenvijn.nl
Wed Mar 9 14:14:57 UTC 2016

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 2:25 PM, Willem Offermans <Willem at Offermans.Rompen.nl> wrote:
>
> Dear Marten and FreeBSD friends,
>
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 01:49:32PM +0100, Marten wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 9, 2016, at 11:54 AM, Willem Offermans <Willem at Offermans.Rompen.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marten and FreeBSD friends,

>>> Maybe I have missed the previous e-mails, but could you provide some
>>> context to your project on makerspaceleiden? I would be highly interested.
>>> What is ``Alix board'' you are referring to in your text?
>>

>> Hi Will,
>>
>> The Alix board are embedded soc boards from pcengines.ch <http://pcengines.ch/>  here we also got the atheros wlancards, casings, pigtails and antenna’s.
>> If are looking for hardware you could also check soekris.com <http://soekris.com/> .
>>
>> If you need some hardware for testing pls let me know..
>>
>> The MakerSpace a kind of offtopic on this list, so ‘ll email you a longer email off list.
>>
>> But in a null shell:
>> Our infrastructure runs FreeBSD on the core router/firewall, mqtt, mail , http server and NanoBSD on the accents points.
>> We have linux on the door system (RFID+Actuators) and LoraWan Gateway.
>> There some arduino-code on ESP’s (NodeMCU) for our sensor network that posts to the mqtt server..
>>
>> Kinds regards,
>> Marten
>>

> I'm planning to ``build'' wireless access points myself. I would love to
> run them on nanobsd. I prefer to have several networks at the end:
>
> - admin net1
> - gebruikers net2
> - gasten net3
>
> Basically the same as you provide in your NetworkSetup_AP. I imagine to
> tune a firewall such that the networks (i.e. net1, net2, and net3) are
> separated. So that the users (gebruikers) can use the services of an
> available server and the guests (gasten) can only use (a limited amount of)
> the internet and no access or only limited access to the server.
>
> Would this be possible with your approach?
That is what we do, the filtering is done with pf on the router
and the router has some jails..

> If yes, could you help me to do this project step by step.
in a limited timespan .. ( or hire me :) )

> If yes, probably I need to order the appropriate hardware. Can you be more
> specific about the hardware you were using?
>
> -Alix board? Which one?

i think this one:
http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d2.htm <http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d2.htm>

> -The board needs to be in a case at the end. Which case?

I would reuse the current cases because i need more space for a 802.3at compliant poe splitter..

> -Which wireless network adapters?
> etc.
I have choose for 11a only and 11g only adapters no 11a/g
 try to find terminators for not user antenna connectors like:

http://www.pcengines.ch/mmcxterm.htm

so something like this

layer2 : modem <=uplink=> freebsd router <=vlan trunk => switch + PoE <=> wlan trunk => ap’s

layer3:  internet <->  router/firewall/dhcpd <-> ap <-> notebook

We have separate 802.3at compliant (try china) adapters to power the ap’s

I bought the hardware about 8 years  ago for another project,
you will need some time to familiarize your self with the hardware. Making a shopping list
is only a couple of ours work.

I am currenty ordering a http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm <http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm> to see it can replace
my current 1U  router to have less power consumption and noise.

> I might consider to write a detailed manual on this project. This would
> certainly help other people in developing such infrastructure.

That why i wrote the wiki page, i would be nice to get such content in the FreeBSD  handbook ...

cheers Marten