Atheros 9462 detected but nonfunctional

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Tue Mar 8 13:29:52 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am trying to diagnose an issue with an Atheros 9462 card.  The card is being detected, and seemingly works (reports no errors with wpa_supplicant and friends), however, the radios seem completely nonfunctional, as the card doesn't actually transmit or receive anything (I checked by turning on packet logging and running scans/wpa_supplicant).

There are errors reported in pciconf (it claims they are correctable errors): receiver error, bad tlp, bad dllp.  The Bluetooth subsystem also suffered timeouts (very likely related).

I have confirmed this is not a hardware problem by booting into Linux with a live memstick and running a scan.

I'm looking for advise on likely root causes and how to go about diagnosing the problem (I've never diagnosed a problem on a *supported* card in FreeBSD before, so I'm relatively unfamiliar with the process).

Best,
Eric