Intel 3945ABG keeps on switch transmitter off

Chris Van Steenlandt chris.vansteenlandt at telenet.be
Thu Feb 18 21:17:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I recently installed FreeBSD release 10.2 on my old Sony Vaio laptop. It
has an intel 3945ABG wireless interface.
A lot of times however, I get the following two messages that pop up :
wpi0: Radio transmitter is switched off
wpi0: Hardware Switch Enabled.

Kind of strange because I leave my hardware switch on and still my
wireless is switched off.
Googling around I found similar problems people had under Windows and
related to the firmware.

My /etc/rc.conf contains the following :

wlans_wpi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DCHCP"

Any idea ?

I already set a sysctl variable to a debug level of 2 but this gave me
hardly any more information.

Thanks,

Chris