urtwn and hostap

Andriy Voskoboinyk s3erios at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 12:19:31 UTC 2015

> Here is a new patch for the urtwn driver. I basically brought over the
> changes committed to NetBSD that enabled hostap mode by merging in what
> appeared to be the relevant differences. I also merged in two changes
> that looked like they would make monitor mode more useful.

> The only
> change I added was to revert the beacon config register back to it's
> original value when the adapter is switched back to station mode. There
> are no comments around that particular call in the NetBSD driver so I'm
> not sure if what I did was correct, it just seemed logical.

I think too.

> This patch doesn't manually generate a beacon frame using
> ieee80211_beacon_alloc so I assume that setting the MSR register using
> the appropriate value instructs the chip to handle that in hardware. I
> tested this on both my ESXi VM using USB passthru and my raspberry pi 2.
> Both appear to work as expected but the connection seemed less stable on
> the latter.

Can you check this with tcpdump(1) or dumpcap(1) on the sta side?
(I have seen configurations, where STA's were associated with an AP
without beaconing).

About patch:

> +		if (vap->iv_opmode ==IEEE80211_M_HOSTAP) {
> +			/* Allow Rx from any BSSID. */
> +			urtwn_write_4(sc, R92C_RCR,
> +			    urtwn_read_4(sc, R92C_RCR) &
> +			    ~(R92C_RCR_CBSSID_DATA | R92C_RCR_CBSSID_BCN));

Is there any reason for that? (can be useful in ad-hoc mode,
but I'm not sure about hostap).

> +			/* Set appropriate MSR bits */
> +			msr |= R92C_MSR_INFRA;

Probably, R92C_MSR_AP should be used here instead.