TDMA at 65k feet on a ras pi 2

charles at thefnf.org charles at thefnf.org
Mon Nov 30 21:19:08 UTC 2015

Hi all.

For the past year, I have been working with a team of ~20 folks across
the world on "internet balloons". Essentially a DIY version of Google
Project Loon. The idea is to provide commercial internet service on a
permanent basis for ~5.00 per user per month. It will be open
source/open access/DIY.

We've settled on using FreeBSD due to it's TDMA and 802.11s support. All
around this seems to be the most mature / turn key implementation
readily available. Payload is essentially a solved problem at this
point. I have a Rasberry Pi 2 (or whatever the latest model with the 4
usb ports is) and a GPS HAT from Adafruit. This gives me a FreeBSD
network node and highly accurate GPS timing. So far so good.

I would like to know what the best USB Wifi dongle to get. I have tried
to piece it together from the FreeBSD Wifi wiki and various PDFs I've
found, but wanted to do a quick ping to the hive mind for the most up to
date recommendations. Obviously one with an external antenna connector.
:) I've got various Alfa USB cards lying around, some rt link stuff and
other random dongles. I'd like to shortcut the typical trial/error
process if there is a magic unicorn USB dongle option.

It seems the intersection of TDMA + 802.11s + USB makes the selection
somewhat.... interesting.

Feel free to point me at the manual and say RTFM if that's the best
path.

Thanks all!