How to make working new Broadcom chips like BCM4331?

Felix Friedlander felixphew0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 01:39:54 UTC 2015

> On 2 Apr 2015, at 9:12 am, Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:42 PM, Felix Friedlander <felixphew0 at gmail.com <mailto:felixphew0 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> out of curiosity I reviewed the BCM status.
>>>
>>> IMO you don't have to port the b43-fwcutter to BSD. It would be nice,
>>> but you can use any Linux to get the firmware (from /lib/firmware/). For
>>> example.
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-2/Oneiric#Wireless
>>>
>>> As of the support, JFYI
>>> BCM4331 Linux driver is provided by Broadcom
>>> http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README_6.30.223.248.txt
>>>
>>> ,there is no support in the Linux kernel atm
>>> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/brcm80211
>>>
>>> and I'm not sure, where do the bwi/bwn drivers come from (to see how
>>> probable is the support of BCM4331).
>>> bwi -- Broadcom BCM43xx IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network driver
>>> bwn -- Broadcom BCM43xx IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network driver
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>>      -vlado
>> Just out of curiosity, is anyone working on this ATM? I’ve had the same problem, and it is (no offence to anyone intended) a bit ridiculous that the latest Broadcom chips we support are around 5 years old now. I don’t actually know enough to say this for sure, but judging by the first message it looks like this is a (relatively) simple fix  - simply add newer firmware and sell siba to detect the new cards. Is this the case, or am I misreading the whole situation?
> Well, looking at the commit history of both the siba source and the
> port containing the firmware binaries, I'd say the driver is in
> maintenance mode since March 2010. Which nicely lines up with the five
> year old chips, unfortunately. No idea if it is indeed as simple as
> adding a few PCI-IDs and the binaries but if you have such a device,
> maybe you could try it?
I’ll try, however my coding skills are truly woeful :-). I have access to devices with BCM4331 and BCM43224 (I’m a convert from the Mac world), as well as older ones to make sure I don’t break anything.

>> Also, the Broadcom-provided linux STA driver you referenced above is not very widely used - b43 (the kernel driver) is much more common, and requires extracting the firmware just like the FreeBSD drivers. See https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 <https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43>
> The page also claims that the operation of b43 is limited to 11g? Is
> this correct?
Nope, it’s not. b43 can do 11n for sure, not sure about 11ac or others. b43 is a much more capable driver than the wl STA driver, and is also open (as opposed to the STA which is sort-of, kind-of open depending on who you ask).

--
Felix Friedlander <felixphew0 at gmail.com>