iwi0: timeout waiting for (null) firmware initialization to complete (Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG)

Pat pkugrinas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 08:21:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

(this is a repost from forums as one of the developers suggested I

Freshly installed FreeBSD 9.2-RC3 today on Acer TravelMate 3000,
having trouble setting up WiFi. Having read the iwi(4) I have these
entries in /boot/loader.conf:

if_iwi_load="YES"
iwi_bss_load="YES"
iwi_ibss_load="YES"
iwi_monitor_load="YES"
legal.intel_iwi.license_ack="1"

kldstat shows that the selected modules have been loaded. However when
doing ifconfig iwi0 up scan it yields this:

iwi0: timeout waiting for (null) firmware initialization to complete
iwi0: could not load boot firmware (null)

I've switching radio on/off, no result. No other changes have been
made to the system after freshly installing it off the memory stick.

Same results with 9.1-RELEASE:

root@:/root # ifconfig iwi0 up scan
iwi0: timeout waiting for (null) firmware initialization to complete
iwi0: could not load boot firmware (null)

Driver works just fine on OpenBSD however (judging from the manual it
seems to originate from the same code base).